Friday 20 January 2012

Why remain an Interim?

A recruitment consultant called me, having found me online - asked if I would consider a permanent role.  I said no thanks, but tell me your problem and I may have some suggestions. She was surprised and asked why, in these difficult times, so many interims were determined not to go back to perm?


My response was that in a nutshell,  after working as an employee for 20 years I am now a career interim because I'm not good at climbing the corporate ladder and working the politics and competitions - what turns me on is getting my arms & head around a new company, a new industry even, and solving problems and delivering benefits. Furthermore at my relatively mature years I like the flexibility.


She then said she understood, and realised that what she wanted too - so, another convert.  (I strongly suspect that I was not the first person she had called today, and that she was having a tough time.  No doubt agencies with too few requirements to fulfill are investing their time in improving their candidate list ready for the upturn ... because they have to believe there's going to be one.  Me, I'm not so sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment